14 September 2013

Art In The Asylum

Today, while attending the University of Nottingham Open Day (which I really enjoyed) I visited the Art In The Asylum exhibition. 
Looking at the art work of mentally ill patients was fascinating. It gives an insight into their minds in a way that no other medium can - through visual and symbolic representations you can really get a sense of their mental states and their raw emotions. At times the art was disturbing or unsettling and at times it was beautiful and had no clues of the artists' distress.
This exhibition is very good, probably the best I've been to, and I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance. There is so much to see and the art is accompanied by information about the artists' lives and stories. 
Also, I enjoyed the real brain on display. It is mind-blowing how such a small organ controls the essential 'being' of a human.There is a real pure beauty in a human brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment